While we would like to believe that every “expert” we speak with is an honest one, all too often, that is not the case. There are people who are looking to scam others in just about every occupation you can think of. Garage door companies are no exception. We want to help you avoid a garage door scam.
Each year, many homeowners fall victim to scammers who pose as representatives of reputable garage door companies and they cheat people out of hundreds and even thousands of dollars as they promise to fix or replace garage doors. They often charge exorbitant fees for this work and either doesn’t do it properly or use cheap parts and in some cases, fail to do any work at all.
The main way to avoid being a victim of these fake and dishonest garage door companies is to be armed with someone knowledge of you own. This way, when you are speaking with someone who is offering garage door services, you will know what to look for, what questions to ask, and increase your odds of dealing with a reputable firm and not becoming a victim to a scam. Here are some tips to help you above being scammed by a garage door company:
- Have some knowledge about your own garage door-The more information you have about your own garage door, the less likely it will be that a scammer can fool you. Know the type of door you have, how much it cost originally, and a little about the mechanics of it such as likely repairs needed and the cost for such repairs. Most of this info can be found online or you can contact the original manufacturer as well.
- Ask for references-If the company that is offering you services is a legitimate one, then they should be able to provide you references of past satisfied clients. If they give any reason as to why they cannot (any reason at all) say “no thank you” and shut the door.
- Find out the location of the company and contact them directly-If the person you are speaking with is indeed a rep of a real garage door company, they can provide you with the location and contact information of their business. If they give an answer such as “we are a virtual service provider” or “I am an independent service rep and I work all over the country” then this person is likely a scammer and you would be well advised to steer clear.
- Search online for information/reviews about the company-No decision need be made immediately so simply get the information about the company and go to work doing your own research. If the company is real, then you should be able to find plenty of info about them online. You can search for their website, see past reviews from clients, etc. If you can’t find any info about the company, then it is likely they don’t really exist…
- Make sure the company provides a complete written estimate and guarantee before they begin any work-Before agreeing to any garage door repair or replacement, make sure the technician provides a complete written estimate for exactly what the cost will be. In addition, ask for a guarantee of their service in writing. A legitimate company will have no problem supplying you with both.
BONUS: If you live in the State of Texas, You can report a fraudulent company to the Texas Attorney General. You can find out more here: https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/consumer-protection
Because most homeowners know very little about their garage doors, it is an easy area for scammers to prey on unsuspecting victims. By arming yourself with a little info and using the tips above, you can stop garage door company scammers in their tracks!
Spectrum Overhead Door LLC is locally owned and operated. The greater Houston area is the only market we serve. Visit us anytime at our office location: 11020 Katy Freeway #116 Houston, TX 77043. Call us today for speedy same day service!
Contact Us About Your Garage Door Issues and Get a FREE Quote Today :