The Houston metro area just dodged a big bullet. Hurricane Laura came within miles of the Houston area, reminding us how easily if can flood here. It brought with it memories of other storms like Harvey and Ike. Your garage can be vulnerable to floodwaters from storms like these. A flood runs the risk of damaging your personal possessions, but it might also cause further damage to your home. Living in the Houston area, taking added steps to keep your garage protected against flooding can save you a lot of trouble down the line. Here are a few ways you can prevent your garage from flooding.
Maintain Your Garage Door
A great way to ensure that your garage is protected is to maintain your garage door. On a somewhat regular basis, take the time to look closely at your garage door.
Garage Door Panel
If your garage door is dented, you will want to replace that panel, especially if the dent is close to an edge where the panels fit together.
Garage Door Weather Seal
Keep an eye out for cracks or tears in your garage door’s weather seal. A cracked weather seal can let water get up under your garage door. You can easily change the weather seal your garage door yourself.
Changing your weather seal
- Raise the garage door to a convenient height so it’s easy to work on.
- The weather-stripping insert may be stuck in the retainer. If so, use a silicone-based lubricant or water mixed with a little dishwashing soap to loosen it.
- You can cut one side of the weather-stripping insert, moisten it thoroughly with your water-soap mixture and then pull on the other side to remove the whole piece.
- Once the insert is removed, clean the retainer carefully with a wet rag to remove any dirt or debris.
- Insert the weatherstrip with a pair of vice-grips while the other one guides it through the retainer. Don’t pull the weather-stripping too tight. Instead, just let it rest naturally inside the retainer.
- Cut off any excess weather-stripping at each end of the door panel. It is best to cut it 1/4 inch longer on each side to allow for shrinkage over time. You may also want to cut it 1.5 inches longer on each side, and then fold the excess back into the cavity
Whether it’s a hurricane or spring showers, if you have lived in Houston for any amount of time, you know it rains here quite a bit. A threshold seal can act like a flood barrier and be placed at the bottom of your garage door helping you keep rain from penetrating your garage. Click for Instructions on installing a threshold seal.
Install Drains If Needed
The reality is that some areas are exceptionally rainy and some garages are slanted in a way that makes rain more dangerous than usual. If you have an incline or slope that makes your garage prone to flooding, you might benefit from investing in a drain. This way, any rainwater can be safely filtered out.
Invest In A More Modern Garage Door
Many homes have garage doors that are old and outdated. Modern garage doors come in a wide range of designs, and some of them are designed to offer added protection against flooding, hurricanes, and more. If this is a real concern for you, investing in one of these can really help to add an extra layer of protection.
Seal Cracks In The Concrete
Concrete is known to crack over time, particularly in areas with varying climates. You might not be too worried about the crack near your garage, but it can actually cause problems down the line and might even make it possible for more rainwater to get in your garage. Keeping your concrete properly maintained and sealed can help to improve the overall integrity of your garage.
A flooded garage is something that is best left avoided, which is why you should take the time to add that extra layer of protection, no matter what it looks like. If you are uncertain about where to start, you can always reach out to our expert staff to discuss solutions that are right for you. Overall, a little investment can go a long way when it comes to keeping your home and belongings safe and dry!
About Spectrum Overhead Door LLC.
If you are in the Houston or surrounding area, we provide a free consultation and estimate. Spectrum Overhead Door has been providing the Houston area with award-winning garage door installation service since 2006. Call 281-748-9542 or our East Houston office 713-557-3407 to schedule an appointment today!