Ah, the garage. For many, it’s not just a place to park the car, but also a storage area, a workshop, and sometimes even an extension of the home. However, with so many roles to play, the garage often ends up cluttered and disorganized. But fret not! With a little time and creativity, you can transform your garage into a functional and tidy space. And we are going to show you how you can maximize your space with a side-mounted garage door opener.
Basic Garage Organizational Tips
Step 1: Declutter
The first step in any organizational project is to declutter. Go through everything in your garage.
- Sort: Create categories like ‘Keep’, ‘Donate’, ‘Sell’, and ‘Toss’.
- Evaluate: Ask yourself if you’ve used the item in the past year. If not, consider letting it go.
- Dispose: Hold a garage sale, list items online, donate to charity, or properly dispose of items.
Step 2: Categorize
Organizing becomes easier when you group similar items together.
- Garden tools: Rakes, shovels, and mowers should be together.
- Workshop area: Group tools, nails, screws, and other DIY necessities.
- Seasonal items: Winter gear, holiday decorations, and summer beach toys can be grouped by season.
Step 3: Vertical Space is Your Friend
Make the most of the walls. Wall-mounted pegboards, shelves, and hooks are great for keeping tools, bicycles, and other items off the floor. This not only maximizes space but also ensures that everything is visible and accessible.
Step 4: Invest in Clear Storage Bins
For items that aren’t used daily, clear storage bins are perfect. You can easily see what’s inside, and they can be stacked or stored on shelves. Don’t forget to label them for even easier identification.
Step 5: Create a Workspace
If you often work on DIY projects or need a space for gardening tasks, set aside a dedicated area. Install a workbench with storage beneath and hang frequently used tools within arm’s reach.
Using a Side Mounted Garage Door Opener to Maximize Space.
One of the often overlooked but revolutionary ways to free up overhead space in a garage is by using a side mounted (or jackshaft) garage door opener. Here are some benefits:
- Maximized Ceiling Space: Traditional garage door openers hang down from the center of the ceiling, taking up valuable overhead space. This space could be used for overhead storage racks or other hanging solutions. A side mounted opener is mounted on the wall next to the garage door, leaving the ceiling clear.
- Increased Storage: With the opener out of the way, you can use the overhead space to store seasonal items, sports equipment, or bulky items that don’t fit elsewhere. It’s an excellent solution for garages with high or low ceilings.
- Versatility: Many side-mounted openers are equipped with the latest technology. This includes features like battery backups, security enhancements, and smartphone integration, allowing you to open or close your garage door remotely.
- Efficient Operation: These openers tend to operate quietly and efficiently. Their design offers a direct drive to the door, which means fewer moving parts and reduced maintenance.
- Aesthetic Appeal: With no bulky mechanism hanging down, your garage will look cleaner and more streamlined.
LiftMaster Wall Mount Garage Door Opener
Our garage door experts here at Spectrum Overhead Door believe the best garage door opener brand to date is Liftmaster. LiftMaster is is considered the professional grade garage door opener and last longer than just about any other brand on the market. LiftMaster does have a wall mounted garage door opener, the 8500. Some of it’s features:
- Wall mount design frees up ceiling space in your garage, reduces noise and vibration.
- Add myQ® smartphone control
- Features a DC motor for ultra quiet operation.
- Automatic Garage Door Lock deadbolts your door after closing.
If you want to look into upgrading to a wall-mounting garage door opener here in the Houston area, the garage door opener installation experts here at Spectrum can give you a free consultation and estimate.
The Hardest Part: Maintain Your Organized Space
Once you’ve put in the hard work to organize your garage, it’s crucial to maintain it. Make it a habit to return items to their designated spots after use. Periodically reassess and declutter as needed. Remember, an organized garage is not only about aesthetics but also about functionality.
Organizing your garage might seem daunting initially, but with the right strategy and tools, it can be transformed into a space that’s both functional and aesthetically pleasing. By decluttering, categorizing, making the most of vertical space, and investing in a side mounted garage door opener, you can truly maximize your garage’s potential. So, roll up your sleeves and get started – your dream garage awaits!