One of the central pieces to your garage door system is your garage door opener. This is the machine that allows you to click a button on your remote or smartphone and open or close your garage door. the average Houstonian opens their garage door roughly 1500 times per year lifting garage doors that door can weigh to an excess of 400 hundred pounds. If you are building a new home and need to install a garage door opener, or yours is over 15 years old or older and needs to be replaced, you have some options as to the types of garage door openers that are out there. Here is a breakdown of the different types of garage door openers.
Common Garage Door Opener Types
Ceiling-Mounted (Overhead) Openers
The ceiling or overhead mounted garage door opener features the main motor unit attached to the ceiling of the garage. and uses a track to pull the garage door up and open. For overhead openers, there are three main versions available:
- Chain: one of the most economical and inexpensive yet effective drive systems, the chain drive features a chain that pulls the door up to open. The downside to chain drives is they are the drive system that produces the most noise out of the overhead drive systems.
- Belt: an updated alternative to the chain drive system, the belt is made of rubber or polyurethane and features a much quieter opening experience and is almost as cost effective.
- Screw drive: this method uses a threaded metal rod to pull the garage door along the track, offering a more reliable and longer-lasting track system. To ensure the best performance though, you will need to lubricate the mechanism regularly.
No matter which option of track you use, the ceiling-mounted overhead opener is a great choice – granted you have the necessary overhead space to install the opener and track above your car or other valuables.
The second option often found in homes with smaller garages is the wall-mounted opener. In this style, the opener is installed on the wall of the garage as opposed to the ceiling. When activated, a jackshaft opens the door via the garage door’s torsion bar.
Wall mounted garage doors are great for those who want the overhead space to be used for something else. A wall mounted garage door opener frees up a good amount of space in your garage. For one, you do not have to worry about clearance. That clearance means less vertical space for stacking storage boxes. They also take less maintenance as they do not have a chain, belt, or screw you need to keep lubricated as you do with the overhead mounts. If you are interested in more information about wall mounted garage door openers, you can read about them in our post Benefits of a Wall Mounted Garage Door Opener
Key Questions Before Choosing Your Garage Door Opener
Knowing what type of garage door openers are out there available to you gets you a step closer to choosing the right one for your situation. Yet there is more to consider, such as which openers comes with which features. LiftMaster is one of the top garage door opener brands available and the one Spectrum Overhead Door LLC recommends. Read the Top 5 LiftMaster Garage Door Opener Motors to get acquainted with which ones have which features. Then take all you have learned about the types of garage door openers and features and apply that knowledge to your situation by answering the following questions.
- How do I want the garage door to open? Is it triggered by a remote, a keypad, or an application on my phone?
- Do I have enough clearance and room for the installation of a ceiling model, or should I consider a wall-mounted opener?
- Does the model feature security features and safety elements that ensure safety for my family and pets?
- Does the opener work with my particular door style?
By ensuring that you have taken the time to consider the options and features of each style of opener, you can be confident that your money will be well spent and you will save yourself the headache of incorrect installation.
Choosing the Right Garage Door Opener is Easy with Spectrum Overhead Door
As we have seen, there are several great options to consider when it comes to choosing the right garage door opener for your home. If the choice seems overwhelming, don’t worry! Our expert team at Spectrum Overhead Door LLC has been helping homeowners across Houston discover the best garage door options for their specific needs.
If you are in the market for a new garage door opener or any other garage door needs, give our team a call today! With professional services in all kinds of garage door installation and repairs, there is no job too big or too small for the Spectrum Overhead Door team. Visit our office or call 281-748-9542 today!
Contact Us About Your Garage Door Issues and Get a FREE Quote Today :