When shopping for a new garage door opener motor, determining the size, you require might be difficult. Motors come in various sizes, each with its own set of advantages and applications. Here, the multiple sizes of garage door opener motors are discussed and what each one is suitable for. There will also be coverage for choosing the suitable motor for your needs and keeping your garage door opener motor in good working condition.
When selecting a garage door opener motor, the first factor to consider is the size of your garage. What size garage door opener do you need? Well, it depends. For example, you won’t need a large engine if you have a small garage. In contrast, you will require a larger motor if you have a huge garage.
More considerations may include;
- The frequency of use. A larger motor may be needed to prevent wear and tear if the frequency is high.
- How many garage doors will the opener be operating? If there are many doors to be served, a larger motor may be needed to function correctly.
- The type of garage door. If the garage door is made of wood, it may need a larger motor to open and close it.
- If you have an automatic garage door opener, you will need a more potent motor because it will have to lift the door and close it automatically.
Once you have considered all of these factors, you should be able to narrow down your choices to the one that suits you best.
There are four different sizes of garage door opener motors.
(QHP) motors are the most minor and most common type of garage door opener motor. They are best suited for light-duty applications and small garage doors. They are characterized by low noise and low efficiency.
motors are larger and more potent than QHP motors and are best suited for heavy-duty applications and large garage doors. Their characteristics include high noise and high efficiency.
Three-quarter horsepower motors are even larger and more potent than HHP motors and are best suited for heavy-duty applications and substantial garage doors. They are characterized by very high noise and very high efficiency.
Full-horsepower motors are the most significant and potent type of garage door opener motor. They are best suited for commercial applications and weighty garage doors. They are characterized by exceptionally high noise and extremely high efficiency.
If you are unsure which size you need, the garage door opener installation professionals at Spectrum Overhead Door LLC can assess your needs and recommend the right size motor for your application.
Maintain your garage door opener motor regularly to avoid garage door opener repair.
The motor is one of the most common causes of garage door opener repairs. Here are a few ways to maintain your opener motor.
- Checking the garage door opener motor for dirt and debris. The motor can overheat and fail due to dirt and debris.
- Looking for any loose or damaged parts on the garage door opener motor. Components that are loose or broken might make the engine work harder and eventually fail.
- Checking the alignment of the garage door. If your garage door is out of alignment, it will make the motor work harder.
- Checking the lubrication of the garage door opener motor chain.
You may avoid garage door opener repair and prolong the life of your garage door opener motor if you maintain it regularly
If you are still unsure of which garage door opener motor is best for your garage door, the pros at Spectrum Overhead Door in Houston can help you with choosing the right size and installing it for you. We have been installing garage door openers since 2006. Call 281-748-9542 to schedule your appointment.